Sunday, July 28, 2013

Post Comic Con Post 2013

This might be a part one if I can get more pictures to post.  Comic Con was crazy this year!  In addition to my usual floor presence as part of the Tired Girl Collective, I was honored to be a part of TWO panels!

The first was Friday night with my fearless former editor Tim Travaglini and the charming Andy Briggs (The New Adventures of Tarzan).  Andy's work with Tarzan has taken him to Cameroon where he is working with Ape Action Africa to help save our fellow primates! 

I moderated the second panel, a jam-packed stage full of awesome writers-- Veronica Wolff (The Keep), Holly Black (The Coldest Girl in Coldtown), Veronica Roth (Divergent), Marissa Meyer (Cinder), Lissa Price (Starters) and Ally Condie (Matched).  We had a great time talking about romance and the kick-ass heroine.


The view from the podium-- a packed house!
Afterwards, we held a book signing with a line so long, the fire marshal shut us down!  I sat between Lissa and Holly at the signing.  Lissa was giving out advanced copies of the sequel to STARTERS, ENDERS.  In order to win, a reader had to pick a number out of an envelope, flip to that page in their copy of the book, and see if the last letter in the last word on the page ended in a vowel.  If it did, Lissa would shout "We have a winner!" and throw her arms in the air.  It was silly and exciting and a lot of fun.  By the end I was shouting "Ding! Ding! Ding!" like a Vegas slot machine.

Also?  I got to meet Jim Butcher.  Which. Was. Awesome.  Because I heart me some Dresden Files.  I never thought I'd geek out over someone at Comic Con, and I've seen or talked to a ton of "names" at conventions-- Christian Bale, Jason Statham, Stan Lee, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Gene Simmons, etc.  But who does it for me?  Writers.  Novelists.  Jim Butcher!  Squee!

All in all, it was an awesome, exhausting, wonderful time.  If you were there, thanks for coming!  If you missed it, maybe next time?  It's worth the trip.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled deadline...

No comments:

Post a Comment